WOW Francesca Woodman Collection is opening at MCA Denver next week.


Francesca and I in her loft on Main Street in Providence.
Next week, images and memories that I collected from my friendship with Francesca Woodman at RISD will finally emerge from a box I have kept hidden for many years. The exhibit "Francesca Woodman - Portrait of a Reputation" will open at MCA Denver 9/20/19 and run through 4/5/20. Rizzoli just published the accompanying catalog with an introduction essay by me and lots of pictures and ephemera from both of us.

Finally opening the box has allowed me to look at images I could not look at for so many years. The box is a chapter of Francesca’s story that got lost. The exhibit built around its contents has pictures of Francesca smiling and being silly…hanging out with her Mom in Little Italy and Chinatown...taking pictures in her loft...there are even a bunch of original prints Francesca sent through the mail to me like postcards with writing and stamps on the actual print. My goal is to humanize her and share the part of Francesca that I miss the most.

You can find more information on the show at my website.
Francesca's loft on Main Street in Providence after she left Providence.
If you are in Denver next week (and I will be!), you can get tickets to the opening here.

If you can’t make it, you can still wear what I will be sporting at the opening... For the very first shirt in a new line I have just launched called “First Name Basis”, I am offering "Francesca & George". It has a picture of Francesca and myself in Francesca's loft at RISD on the front. On the back is a handwritten invitation to a tea party Francesca slipped under my door. You can order the shirt here.




George Lange
LANGE STUDIO
cell: 917.608.2474