Michael Warren Contemporary - Liz Hickok - Opening Friday - Artist Talk Saturday

http://www.lizhickok.com/

Liz Hickok Solo Show

New work at Michael Warren Contemporary, Denver

I'm excited to announce my upcoming inaugural solo exhibition at Michael Warren Contemporary in Denver, Colorado. The show is going to feature work from my two new series Ground Waters and Crystal Sets and Tests

The reception is this Friday nightMarch 13th from 6-9pm, and there will also be an artist talk on Saturday, March 14th from 3:30-5pm.

If you are in Denver, it would be wonderful if you could make it! If you have friends in the area, please share the invitation—you can forward this email, or add people to the Facebook Event. My show is part of the Month of Photography Denver, so there will be many exciting events going on at the same time. If you can't make it, please visit my Facebook Page for updates and photos. 

March 10th-April 4th, 2015
Opening Reception: Friday March 13th, 6-9 pm
Artist Talk: Saturday March 14th, 3:30-5 pm
Michael Warren Contemporary
760 Santa Fe Drive, Denver, CO 80204
www.michaelwarrencontemporary.com

Finally, if you are in the Bay Area, please save the date for Spring Open Studios 
Friday night, April 17th and Sunday April 19th12-6pm
Experiment with Model Tree

About my new work:
In my current Ground Waters series, I create miniature worlds where both natural and urban environments are overgrown by strange crystal formations. The colorful tableaux are playful in their materials, but they also allude to our environment being saturated by chemical pollution. I combine sculpture with photography, capturing fleeting moments during a process of alchemical transformation. I assemble various elements and then flood the scene with a liquid crystal solution, like a science experiment. Over the course of a few hours, days, or weeks, the crystals re-form, permeating the small model.

In a related body of photographs, Crystal Sets and Tests, I take the sets, props and experiments that I use to create my sculptures, and photograph them on a simple white background. The simplicity of the images, along with the large scale of the prints, allows the viewer to observe the objects’ formal beauty, while giving a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the artistic process.